Friday, June 5, 2020

Imagine Your Story at RCPL

Summer Reading Program (just a little different)

School is out, but children are always learning. We plan to give children some things to keep their imagination active this summer. 

Let me back up just a moment and introduce myself! My name is Sarah Perrigan and for many of my fellow Russell Countians, we have not been formally introduced, at least not face-to-face. I am the new Children's Program Coordinator and I am happy to announce that our Summer Reading Program, oftentimes referred to as SRP, will take place this summer.

Naturally, SRP is going to look a little different from what we are accustomed to as a result of COVID-19 (#saferathome). This week, my primary focus has been in getting book baggies together to send home to all school-aged children in Russell County that have registered or will register for SRP 2020. Parents will pick up the baggies using our curbside service. Baggies will consist of:
  • One new book
  • One bingo sheet
  • Two fun activity sheets
  • One craft to put together with me during our SRP Zoom meetings
  • One reading log

Elementary SRP will occur in Zoom meetings on Tuesdays at 2:30 PM, while Teen SRP meetings will take place via Zoom on Thursdays at 2:30 PM. Preschool summer reading will take place on Wednesdays at 10:30 AM via Facebook Live which will take the place of the storytime slot.

Our summer reading finale will be a performance just like you are accustomed to, only it will be online. You may watch it at one of our libraries if you don't have internet. I think you will love what we have planned for our SRP finale.

posted by Sarah Perrigan

No comments: