Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Remembering COVID-19

Remember?! This dangerous new virus is consuming some of us with worry now. But in March 2021? In 5 years? 25 years? There will come a day when all this worry, annoyance, and fear is both a memory and our history.

Experts suggest we write down our experiences, hopes, and fears during this pandemic. These writings help us work through our feelings and give us a record for the future. Some day a youngster may ask you what it was like not being able to go out to eat or work. We offer hints on writing below; don't be intimidated. Anything you write will be like gold to your grandchildren.

After you have vented or worried about COVID-19 on paper or a digital file (we discourage using social media), here's a suggestion. After writing, have a family history chat.

Talk about how this is different from crises/events important to other generations (9/11, Challenger, JFK assassination, etc.). Talk about how these events affect the economy (what industries falter, which ones thrive, and what does that mean locally). Take a look at the RCPL Local History page and click on Russell County Rootsweb. This website has many interesting historical documents (deeds and probate, church, and military records).

If you have kids at home, congratulations: You just completed a lesson including geography, history, economics, and a smattering of science (COVID-19, Challenger, 9/11). Not so bad, eh?

Writing daily in a journal has been a way to see our world for thousands of years. (Look at the Dickenson manuscript on the Local History page.) If you write daily, you may find you have established a new habit that soothes your soul.

Writing Hints
  • Write for 30 minutes. It seems WAY too long, and your kids will whine about it (so will you), but do it. Set a timer, and everybody writes until it rings.
  • It doesn't matter what you write - just put words on the page for thirty minutes.
    • This is so stupid. I can't write for 30 minutes. I mean, I have nothing to say. If I could go see my hairdresser, now I could talk for an hour straight, but UGH. I hate this virus. I hate being stuck in the house. And honestly, I hate being responsible for my kids' education. See how easy that was? Keep going!
  • It's okay to share writing "triggers" each day when you start. (Your child's teacher can offer some suggestions.)
    • What do I miss most?
    • If this time at home were a gift, how would I use it?
    • If I could travel anywhere in the world, where would I go? Why choose that place?
    • What do I want to be when I grow up?      
    • Who do I most admire & why?
    • What are my dreams? 
    • List my favorite books/songs/movies
    • The most disappointed I've ever been....
    • The biggest lie I've ever told...
    • My saddest memory....
    • What would I do if I knew I could not fail?
    • Three things I can't do without.
Posted by Kelly McBride Delph

No comments: